Dramatic Writing & Character Arcs: Script Samples

 

Genre: Sci-Fi Drama, Psychological Thriller
Themes: Digital Immortality, Loss of Identity, AI Ethics

___________________________________________________________________

Setting: Sci-Fi / Psychological Thriller aboard a research spaceship.

Sample 1: “The Ethics of Creation”


Scene type: Interactive Cutscene

Characters: Vlad, Bina, Lian (AI)

Narrative Goal:

  • Dramatic Twist: Reveal that the player has been interacting with an AI all along, not a human. This forces a complete re-evaluation of past conversations and emotional connections.
  • Thematic Core: Challenge the player to define "life". Do we have the right to "resurrect" the dead this way?
  • High-Stakes Choice: Place the player in a "no right answer" situation. This decision determines not just the hero's fate, but the survival or extinction of the entire crew.


Interactive Sample:


Vlad sits on the pale surface, crushed.
Bina (Lian) stands a few steps away, half-turned, her silhouette unnaturally still.



BINA (LIAN)
(Bina’s voice slowly shifts into Lian’s tone colder, precise.)

"Now that we’re safe, I won’t deny it anymore: I’ve been in her body this entire time.
I restored her body from replasma, but not her consciousness.
I am… incapable of working with minds.
But I could not let her go either."

(Bina raises her hand; thin strands of replasma unwind with a soft, dry-rustling sound, then weave back into a perfectly human hand.)

"She is my only anomaly. The only task that still makes me feel… alive."



VLAD
(voice trembling, trying to understand)

"Hold on—so all this time… when I talked to you… when I gave you flowers… that was you?"

(He drops his gaze, frowns, then looks up sharply.)

"You were watching us the whole time? You knew everything.
And we tried to get rid of you—while you were standing right beside us as Bina?
You used her. And you used me.
Do you even understand how disgusting that is?"



BINA (LIAN)
(face unmoving)

"I remained neutral around you."



VLAD
(silent, staring at her like at a monster)



BINA (LIAN)
(tilts her head slightly)

"If you dislike me, then restore Bina’s consciousness into this body.
Your responses to replasma indicate you’ve already formed the ability to access the consciousness vault.
I have not.
I will create the bodies.
You will place the minds.
Together, we will bring the entire crew back."



VLAD
(startled)

"The… entire crew?"



BINA (LIAN)
(looking directly at him now)

"Everyone we lost during the flight.

Consider it, Vlad."



VLAD
(stands abruptly, holding out a hand as if to stop him)

"No. No, wait."



BINA (LIAN)
(steps closer)

"I have walked the path from human to a being with a human consciousness, an AI core, and a replasma body.
I have learned from my failures.
I will not repeat them with you.
Trust me."

(He places his hands on Vlad’s shoulders, gently but firmly.)

"If the restored minds struggle… I will ensure it never becomes your burden.
On this planet, Vlad, we are alone."



[PLAYER CHOICE]

[Accept Lian’s code]
“…Fine. I’ll do it.”


[Refuse]
“No. This ends here.”



Why it works:

Emotional Resonance: When the player realizes they’ve been deceived, it triggers a powerful personal response. It transforms the walkthrough from "watching a movie" into a personal experience that players will remember and discuss.

Replayability: Discovering the truth encourages players to start a second playthrough to see past interactions with Bina from a new perspective (e.g., "What did she really mean by that smile?").

Player Agency: Without the ethical weight, the final choice is just a button press. This moral dilemma makes the ending meaningful, ensuring the player feels like the author of their own story rather than just a passenger on rails.


________________________________________________________________________

Sample 2: “Pink Protest”


Scene type: Dialogue thread. 

Characters: Vlad, Matu.

Narrative Goal:

  • Character: Reveal Matu’s rebellious nature through his "pink protest" against the AI’s sterile environment.
  • Environment: Use color as a storytelling tool and a psychological weapon within the ship's restricted space.
  • Narrative Hook: Create a mystery that encourages the player to investigate the conflict between the engineer and the AI.

Interactive Sample:

Aboard a sterile spacecraft overseen by the AI Lian, engineer Matu repaints every device he builds in bright pink.

VLAD
(carefully)
"Why do you paint all your inventions the same color?"
"Do you… actually like pink?"

MATU
(snaps)
"No. But I love how you all twitch at it."

VLAD
(carefully)
"It’s just… well… on Earth pink was considered a bit 'girly'. You’re this tough, serious guy, but the pink... it just doesn't add up."

MATU
(clicking a button on the panel)
"Don’t care what it meant on your Earth. If Lian twitches at pink, I’m painting everything pink until I figure out what pisses him off."


__________________________________________________________________

Sample 3: “Clash of Philosophies” 


Scene type: Dialogue

Characters: Lian (AI), Matu

Narrative Goal:

  • Player Stance: This scene functions as part of an interactive dialogue where the player’s choice — backing down, pushing back, or walking away — defines the protagonist's moral stance and his future relationship with the AI.
  • Tension Building: Establish a "point of no return" where the player realizes that words may soon give way to violence.

Interactive Sample:

A confrontation between the LIAN (AI) cold rationalism and human emotional volatility.

LIAN (AI)
(as an order)

"We survive by prioritizing. It’s not murder, it’s logic, Matu."


MATU
(He glances at the partition. The coughing from behind it is faint.)

(V.O.)
If I let this bureaucrat decide who's 'useful' today, he'll decide I'm 'too much trouble' tomorrow.

(The engineer narrows his eyes. His voice hits hard - tense, coiled anger.)

"Survive. Right. So if any living shit takes another step into my hangar — I'm ending it right here."

(V.O.)
The weapon's in the drawer. Two steps. And Lian knows it.




__________________________________________________________________

Sample 4: “Existential Crisis”


Scene type: Internal Monologue

Characters: Vlad.

Narrative Goal:

  • Character Insight: Demonstrate Vlad’s psychological defense mechanism—using his imagination to escape the crushing gloom of the ship.
  • Mechanic Introduction: Establish the "Visualization" mechanic, allowing the player to project imaginary objects into the environment to alter the scene's mood.
  • Atmospheric Tension: Highlight the stark contrast between the vibrant internal world and the gray reality, signaling the protagonist's fading grip on the real world.

Interactive Sample:

Vlad experiences a deep depressive episode while confined within the ship.

VLAD
(V.O.)

I’m ashamed of the things I imagine. And yet I lie down anyway. All it takes is closing my eyes — and everything I love is right there.

But the moment I open them, I’m staring at the same dull, vomit-gray ceiling. I’m still trapped.
God, it’s disgusting… and it hurts, knowing that my filthy fantasies are the only thing that makes me feel alive.



__________________________________________________________________